How to install:
1. Copy / move the OctagoneHole.py in your Documents\maya\version\scripts
2. In Maya, open the script editor
3. Make a new python tab or empty an existing python tab
Command menu > New Tab > Click Python from the pop up.
4. Paste the code below into the script editor!
4.1 The best value is 0.5, you can make different hole size by giving it a custom value. This is as followed:
By doing this you can make multiple buttons, each with a different value
5. Select the code and click + drag it to the desired shelf. Click Python again in the pop up window.
6. For editing the label and icon: right click the new icon and choose Edit and go to the Shelves tab of the window
I will try to expand and improve the script to be more user friendly for scaling (read value)
Hope you enjoy using it.
How to use:
1. Select a vertext which has 4 adjecent egdes (center of a cross)
2. Run the script
Please keep in mind that selecting multiple vertices won't work.
You can use the "G" key to repeat the action after selecting a new vertex.